Bananas are among the most widely consumed foods in the world.They are an excellent source of vitamin B6,soluble fiber andcontain moderate amounts of vitaminC,manganese and potassium.There are many varieties found in India,the most famous one in Kerala being the Ethapazham/Nendra pazham.
Any special event or celebration is an excuse to make payasam and there is nothing like Mom's bowl of steaming payasam for our birthdays.Today I am sharing a delicious recipe of Kerala banana/ethappazham Payasam.
- Ripe bananas(ethapazham)-2,big
- Jaggery/sharkkara syrup-1 cup
- Coconut milk thin-1.5cups
- Coconut milk thin-1cup
- Cashew nuts-a handful
- Raisins-a handful
- Dry ginger powder-1tsp
- Cumin seeds roasted-1/4tsp(optional)
- Coconut pieces roasted in ghee-2tbsp
- Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
- Place the bananas in a steamer and steam it until the bananas are well cooked.
- Remove the outer skin.Split it into two and de-seed them.Mash the bananas to a paste using a ladle or grind.
- Melt jaggery with 1/4cup water and remove the impurities by straining.Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add mashed banana paste.Add jaggery syrup into this and cook them on a medium flame by stirring continuously.
- When they form thick,add ghee to it.Mix well.
- Add thin coconut milk.Boil till the mix is slightly thick.Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Now add thick coconut milk(first extract) along with cardamom powder and mix well.Do not allow it to boil.Switch of the heat.
- Sprinkle dry ginger and roasted cumin seeds powder.
- Heat ghee in a pan,fry cashews,raisins and coconut pieces and pour this over the payasam and mix well.Let it rest for a couple of hours.The payasam turns thicker during this time.
- Yummy Banana payasam is ready.
- Use good ripe banana/ethapazham.If you don't get it,buy raw plantains and keep it in a container in which you keep rice.The plantains will turn very ripe within 2-3 days.
- After adding the jaggery syurp,check the level of sweetness and add,if required.
- Ready made coconut milk or coconut powder mixed with water can also be use in this preparation.