In India,pickle is famous and is served as a side dish with almost all meals.Each state in India has its own way of making pickle.You will come across pickles made out of meat,seafood and vegetables.
In my Hometown Kerala,Rice porridge along with pickle has been a comfort food and is served in most of the houses during Lent season especially in Good Friday.Pickle has both sour and spice flavor which enhances the taste of any food we eat.
There are a few benefits of eating pickles.It can increase your appetite and is a good source of iron,vitamin C and vitamin B,fibers and low in saturated fat and cholesterol.However too much intake of pickles are not good for health as it is high in salt and acid.We should know the medicinal values of mangoes.Here is the Medicinal Values of Mangoes from Shilpa's blog aayis recipes.
- green mangoes-1/2kg,diced small
- chilly powder-3-4tbsp(according to ur spice level)
- turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- ginger-2tbsp,finely chopped
- garlic-10 cloves,sliced
- green chilly-2-3
- curry leaves-a sprig
- asafoetida/kayam/hing- a couple of pinches
- mustard seeds/kaduku-1/2tsp
- fenugreek seeds/uluva-1/4tsp
- salt to taste
- sesame oil-3tbsp
- sugar-a couple of pinches
- Clean and Cut the mangoes into small diced pieces along with the skin.
- Add salt and mix well.keep it over night.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds.when they splutters,add fenugreek seeds(you can use dry roast and powdered fenugreek seeds at the end) and curry leaves.
- Add sliced garlic,ginger and green chillies and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Make a paste with chilly powder and turmeric by adding some water to it.
- Add this paste to the sauteed mixture and saute well till the raw smell disappears.Now add salted water in the mangoes and bring it to boil.Simmer till it is thick.Add asafoetida and salt.Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Add mango pieces when the gravy is still hot and mix it well.You can add vinegar now(i got the mangoes with lots of sourness so i didn't use vinegar).adjust the salt and sprinkle a pinch of sugar and mix well.
- Leave it in the pan for couple of hours and transfer to an air tight glass bottle or in a Bharani(clay pot).
- I suggest to keep this pickle outside for 2 days and transfer to the refrigerator.This helps the mangoes to get mixed well with the spices and this makes the mangoes soft.If you want your mango pieces crispy,then keep it outside for 4-5 hours and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Do not peel off the skin of green mangoes.Never boil the pickle after adding mango pieces.Switch off the flame before adding mangoes.
- Remember the pickle with more salt is suppose to last more than that with less salt.
- Always use a clean and dry spoon to take pickle from the bottle and never put your finger or a wet spoon in the pickle.always close the bottle tightly after use.