|Duck Curry/Tharavu Curry Kerala Style|
Duck is a staple in the backwaters,a region of intricate canals and lakes in the Indian state of Kerala.Kuttanadan Duck curry is a traditional dish and it is an inevitable dish during the special occasions like Easter,Christmas and marriages.Duck recipes are a specialty of Syrian Christian families in Kerala and is part of their cuisine on all special occasions.There are different variations in making duck curry.In regions like Kuttanadu it is made with the skin, without adding water and is cooked in its own fat.This is my Amma's recipe and I usually made like this.Today I prepared this duck curry as our Easter dish with kallappam.I am happy to share this recipe to all my friends.
Here is the Recipe:
- Duck/Tharavu -1kg(skinned and cut into medium pieces)
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
- Ginger-a small piece,crushed
- Garlic-3 cloves,crushed
- Pepper-1/2 tsp,crushed
- Vinegar-2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Shallots/small onion-1/2 cup,thinly sliced
- Ginger-1' piece,crushed
- Green chilies-3-5,slit lengthwise(As per tolerance)
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Coriander powder-1-2 tsp
- Chilly powder-1 tsp
- Pepper powder-1tsp (As per your tolerance)
- Garam masala-1tsp
- Coconut milk-half cup(optional)
- Oil- as required
- Clean and wash well.Soak them in a water and lemon juice for couple of minutes.Drain it.Cut into medium sized pieces with skin.
- Marinate the cleaned duck pieces with the ingredients given in under marination for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes,pressure cook the marinated meat in a pressure cooker until cooked and soft.Duck usually takes more time to get cooked compared to chicken.
- Heat oil in a large kadai or a Mun Chatti/clay pot,saute thinly sliced small onion till they begin to turn soft,add crushed ginger,garlic and green chilies and cook until it turns lightly golden brown color.At this stage,add all the powders except pepper powder and garam masala and stir in low-medium heat until a nice aroma comes.
- Now add cooked meat to this masala mixture and bring to a boil in medium heat.Adjust the salt.
- Add half cup freshly extracted medium consistency coconut milk to this(optional).(I didn't use this time)
- Add curry leaves and garam masala powder and the remaining pepper powder to this and cook in a low flame for 10-20 minutes till the gravy thickens,and the oil coating floats on top.
- Switch off the flame and let it sit for 30 minutes before serving.
- You can prepare this dish without coconut milk also.
- Marination is must.Cooking time is more than that of chicken and mutton.
Serve warm with Rice,Palappam,Kallappam or Chapati...