- Banana Flower/Vazhakoombu/Chundu) -1 large
- Red cow peas(vanpayar)-1/2cup
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Small onion/shallots-3-5
- Garlic cloves-2
- Green chilly-2
- Chilly powder-1/2tsp
- mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Dry red chilly-2
- Curry leaves-a sprig
- Salt -to taste
- Oil-as required
- Clean and remove 3-4 outer layers of vazhachundu/banana flower/banana blossom and chop it finely into a vessel with butter milk,water,and turmeric powder.Rinse well after 5 minutes.
- Cook red cow peas with salt and water and keep it aside.
- Grind coarsely coconut with green chillies,onions,garlic,chilly powder and a few leaves of curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.Add dry red chillies and curry leaves,shallots and saute till it is soft.Now add ground coconut mixture and mix well.
- Now add finely chopped vazhachundu(after squeezing out from water)and add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.Cook covered for 3-5 minutes in a medium flame.
- When the banana flower is cooked well,add the cooked red cow peas/vanpayar with cooked water and mix well.Cover with a lid and cook for few minutes.Open the lid and stirring often until all the water evaporates and dry.