Chembu or taro is also known as colocasia is a starchy root vegetable,which is extensively used in South Asia.Keralites used this as a staple food,as a side dish,or as a component in various side dishes.As a staple food it is steamed and eaten with onion-chilly chutney.The tender leaves and stems of certain varieties of chembu are used as a vegetable in Kerala.A lot of people are not fond of chembu.But I love this and made my all time favorite chembu udachu curry out of it.
- grated coconut-half cup
- green chilly-3
- shallots/small onion-3
- curry leaves-a sprig
- turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- kudampuli-a small piece
- salt to taste
- mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- dry red chilly-2
- oil- as required
- clean and wash taro.Peel off the skin and cut into medium pieces.
- cook it with turmeric powder,salt,kudampuli and water.grind together coconut,green chillies,onion,garlic and curry leaves smoothly.
- add this into cooked taro and boil it.
- then season with mustard seeds,chopped shallots,red chillies and curry leaves.