Beetroot-Vanpayar thoran is a nutritious side dish for rice.Beetroot is a rich source of potent antioxidants and nutrients including Mg,Ca,Na.K,vitamin C and betaine which is important for cardiovascular health.It will protect against liver disease,protein deficiency and diabetes.
Beetroot juice has been shown to lower blood pressure.It is a good source of antioxidants.So consume this veggie as much as possible.Try to give to Kids more vegetables like beetroot,carrot,beans,leafy vegetables like spinach,red cheera etc.
- beetroot-1no,finely chopped
- red cow peas/vanpayar -1/4cup
- coconut grated-1/4cup
- small onion/shallots-5
- green chilly-4,roundly cut
- turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- garlic-2-3 cloves
- mustard seeds-half tsp
- curry leaves-a sprig
- salt to taste
- oil- as required
- Cook red cow peas in a pressure cooker with turmeric,salt and water.
- Crush coconut with small onion,garlic,curry leaves.keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds.Allow to splutter.Add chopped small onion,chopped green chillies and curry leaves.Saute well until onion becomes transparent.Add crushed coconut mixture into this.Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and chopped beetroot into it.mix well.Add some water,cover and cook.
- When beetroot cooks well, add cooked red cow peas to this.Cook beetroot and vanpayar together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add curry leaves and stir for 2 mins and remove from fire.