- Gooseberries-10 fresh or frozen
- Garlic-3 tbsp,chopped
- Green chillies-3,sliced
- Curry leaves-a few
- Chilly powder-2tbsp(adjust to your spice tolerance)
- Turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- salt - to taste
- mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- fenugreek seeds-1/2tsp
- Gingelly oil(sesame oil)-as required
- Wash the gooseberries and steam it until soft,about 10 minutes.You may cook them in boiling water also.Do not discard the boiled water.
- Allow it to cool,remove the seeds.cut into pieces.sprinkle salt and keep aside.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds and crushed it in a mortar and pestle.keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan.Splutter mustard seeds.Add garlic,ginger, green chillies,curry leaves and saute until garlic turns light brown.Add chilly powder,turmeric,salt asafoetida/kayam,fenugreek powder and stir for 2-5 seconds and add the boiled water.When it starts boiling,add the steamed gooseberries.Add sugar and Mix well and turn off the stove.Add vinegar.
- Allow the pickle to cool,and transfer into a dry,air tight glass container.
- You can use it after 3-4 days.This pickle can be stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 months.