Jackfruit is a very tasty fruit largely available in Kerala during January to June.
Chakkakuru stir fry with coconut is a common sidedish in Kerala.
It is a traditional dish, homemade preparation.Use sparingly, spare others. Flatulence threat apart, it remains a favourite item for many.
Here goes the recipe:
- Chakkakuru/jackfruit seeds, cleaned and sliced-2cups
- Grated coconut-1/2cup
- Small onion-3-4, sliced
- Green chillies-2-3, finely chopped
- Curry leaves-2sprigs
- Chilly powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- Pepper freshly crushed-1tsp
- Salt as required
- Water as required
- Oil (preferably coconut oil) -1-2tbsp
- Remove the outer white layer and scrape off the brown skin using a knife. It is tough to get it clean so a few bits here and there is ok.wash the peeled seeds and cut each pieces into 4-5 pieces lengthwise.
- In a vessel put the seeds, chilly powder, coriander powder, onion, garlic, turmeric, curry leaves, grated coconut and salt.Add little water and cook the seeds till done
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds.Once it is done add curry leaves and saute.Add the cooked seeds and crushed pepper to this and stir fry for few minutes in a low heat.Cook till dry.
Serve hot with plain Rice....