Home made Pickle always taste good than store bought one.
Today I am sharing a Pickle recipe.I love making pickles and lemon pickle tops the most made pickle in my kitchen.Its quite a lengthy process to make,but it is worth all the effort and it's taste is much more authentic. Usually I do not make large quantities.If it can be preserved in a ceramic jar(Bharani) or in a glass jar,it can be kept for years.
There are multiple ways to prepare lemon pickles.But this recipe helps you to make the pickle without any bitterness and here is recipe I used given to make mouth watering tangy Traditional lemon pickle.Do try this recipe and let me know how you like it....
Lemon Pickle/Naranga Achar Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes +7 days
- Lemon /Cheru Naranga-7-10 nos(medium size)
- Ginger-1 tsp(chopped)
- Garlic-10 cloves(cut lengthwise)
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seed-1/2tsp powder
- Gingely oil/Nallenna-2-3 tbsp
- Chilly powder-3-4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Asafoetida powder/kayam-1/2tsp
- Sugar-1/2 tsp(optional)
- Vinegar-1 tsp or as required
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Salt - as required
|Lemon pickle prepared using an Earthen ware|
- Clean,Wash lemon/Lime thoroughly and pat dry.Steam it in a steamer or an Idli vessel .Once steam comes, simmer it for about 5-8 minutes.Do not let the lime crack.
- Remove from the fire and take out the lemon from the steamer.Let it cool and wipe it with a kitchen towel.Cut the lemon into quarters.
- Add salt to the lime pieces and mix it well.Keep aside for minimum 1 hr.
- Heat Gingely oil/ oil in an Earthenware pot or in a pan.Add mustard seed,when it starts spluttering add the curry leaves.Saute for 30 seconds.Add ginger and garlic slices into it and saute until it turns to light brown color.
- Simmer the flame and add chilly powder,turmeric,asafoetida powder,fenu greek seed powder and saute for couple of seconds.Remember to keep the flame on the lowest level.
- If you want pickle to be little gravy then add reserved liquid from the lemon if any or add 1/4 cup water along with the vinegar.Bring it to a boil,when the gravy becomes thick and switch off the heat.
- You can add 1/2 tsp sugar to neutralize the taste.
- Add the salted lemon pieces and mix well.Adjust the salt.
- Now in another pan dry roast 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 fenugreek seed Powder them and sprinkle on top of the lemon pickle. This is a tip to get that authentic Kerala flavor.
- Leave it in the pan for 2-3 hours.
- Transfer it in an air tight glass jar or in a ceramic jar(Bharani) and heat 2tbsp gingely oil and allow it to cool and then pour the oil on the top of the pickle.This will prevent 'fungus'.Keep it in a room temperature for a weeks for a flavour to set in and then refrigerated it for further use.
- Traditional Kerala Style Lemon pickle/Naranga Achar is ready.Start using this pickle after one week.
- Do not use wet spoon which adds moisture and very easily get "fungus" and that spoils the whole pickle.Even while serving the pickle,make sure the spoon you put in this container is very dry.
- Avoid using steel container for storing.store in a dry ceramic jar or in an air tight glass bottle.Please note to clean the bottle and caps which you are planning to store for lime pickle with hot water and wipe and dry well without any water content.
- Use lemon that has lots of juice.
- Any type of pickle should taste salty when it is prepared.The salt gets absorbed by the pieces as time passes. if the pickle taste less salt when it prepared,it gets spoiled soon.
- Using Sesame oil increase the shelf life of the pickle and gives a special flavor to the pickle.
Serve and Enjoy with anything as you wish! Pairs well with Biryani,Curd Rice,Ghee Rice and Mint Rice.....