Puttu is a traditional healthy breakfast of Kerala.This can be made with rice,wheat,ragi flour etc.Today I am sharing the recipe of Puttu/steamed rice flour cakes with minced meat mixture and fresh coconut scrapings.This is a very tasty dish and can be easily prepared.The accompaniments to puttu vary from black chickpeas to ripe bananas or steamed ripe plaintains ,spicy meat curry or fish curry.Erachi Puttu is another variety.Hope you all will enjoy this breakfast dish.
Here is the recipe for Erachi Puttu ...
Ingredients For Puttu:
- Rice flour-2 cups(here I used chemba rice puttu flour)
- Grated coconut-3/4cup for layering
- Warm water-1/2cup(depending on the quality of rice flour)
- Mix salt in required amount of warm water.
- Sprinkle this water slowly over the roasted rice flour and mix well using your fingers till the flour turns soft and wet.
- Do not use too much water.Make it almost like crumbs.
- When you take a handful of the wet flour and make a fist with it and if it holds together and then breaks when you open the fingers,then you have reached the right consistency.
- Keep aside this mix for 10-20minutes to get soft puttu.
- Beef/chicken-100 gm
- Onion-1,finely chopped
- Garlic-3-4 pods,minced
- Green chilly-2,minced
- Coriander power-1tsp
- Turmeric powder-a pinch
- Gram masala-1tsp
- Fennel seeds/periumjeerakam-1/2tsp
- Coriander leaves-1tbsp,chopped(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil-as required
- Cook boneless meat with salt,turmeric powder and pepper powder. Cool it and mince it.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add ginger,garlic,green chillies and saute it for few minutes.Add salt and stir well.
- Now add coriander powder,pepper powder,crushed fennel seeds and garam masala and stir well until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the cooked minced meat to this and stir-fry for few minutes until the ingredients are well combined.Adjust the salt.
- Add chopped coriander leaves to this and stir well.
- Sprinkle 1/4tsp garam masala and stir well.Switch off the heat.
- Allow it to cool down in room temperature.
Directions for final assembling of Puttu and Meat mixture:
- Use puttu kudam(pot) or pressure cooker with puttu maker.
- Fill the water in puttu kudam or pressure cooker.Allow to boil.
- Meanwhile put a layer of grated coconut(around 2tbsp)into the puttu maker first.Then put meat mixture as the second layer.Then add two handful of puttu flour.
- Repeat the process till the puttu maker is filled.
- Cover the puttu maker with the lid and place it on the puttu pot/pressure cooker nozzle.
- Steam it on a high -medium flame for 5-8minutes.Once it is done,transfer it to a plate without breaking it.
- You may use any type of puttu flour(raw rice or chemba rice flour)for making Puttu.
- Adding tomatoes to the meat mixture will prevent the steam to comes out.So avoid tomatoes.
- While making the puttu mixture,add water slowly to the flour.
- Keep aside the prepared flour for around 15 minutes to get the soft puttu.
Serve hot/warm with curry of your choice or without curry also.