Today I am sharing my mom's Kerala mutton curry recipe. Kerala mutton curry is our all time favorite.This is a simple mutton curry but yet very delicious.I hope you will enjoy this side dish with any kind of rice preparations or chapati, palappam,paratha etc.....
Try out this recipe if you want to relish the taste of Kerala food.This will definitely bring you the nostalgic memories of home cooked food.
- Mutton-1kg,cut into medium size pieces
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Black Pepper-1tsp,freshly crushed
- Small onion/shallots-20-25,sliced
- Big Onion-1,small chopped finely
- Ginger-1tbsp,minced (2'' size)
- Green Chillies-2,slit
- Chilli powder-1.5tbsp
- Coriander powder-1tbsp
- Bay leaves-1
- Cinnamon-a small piece(1/2'' piece)
- Garam masala-1tsp
- Tomatoes chopped-2,medium size
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil-as required
- Wash mutton pieces and drain it well.Marinate meat with turmeric powder,crushed pepper,vinegar,1/2tbsp ginger,1/2tbsp garlic,1/2tbsp garam masala,half of the chilly and coriander powders,chopped big onion and salt.Keep aside for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cook the marinated mutton pieces with 1 cup water in a pressure cooker or slow cooking method until the meat is cooked well.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add bay leaf,cinnamon,cloves and cardamoms and saute for few seconds.Add thinly sliced small onions and saute in a low flame until it turns translucent.Now add green chillies, and 1/2tbsp ginger and garlic to this.
- Tear off half of the curry leaves and add to this.Saute it well for few minutes.Add half of the chilly and coriander powders to this and stir well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes to this and stir fry for few minutes,until the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Now add the cooked meat along with gravy and stir well and bring it to boil.Now add the freshly crushed garam masala powder and mix well.
- Reduce the flame and allow it cook till the gravy starts to thicken a bit.Adjust the salt.Just before turning off the heat,add some more curry leaves and sprinkle a pinch of garam masala powder.
- Switch off the heat when the gravy is thick enough.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes before serving as it takes time for all the spices and masalas to mix together.
- I recommend to cook the mutton pieces slowly with covered for nearly 1hour.Keep stirring it occasionally and replace the lid.