I have tried broccoli in pasta and soup and wanted to try something indian dish with it.Never been a broccoli fan till i had it with dal. I had this thoran at my friend's place and became an instant fan,the reason being it was finely chopped and mixed well with dal.so fan of broccoli or dal?(that's a question:-).so this recipe is for all broccoli lovers like me.
Here is the recipe for broccoli and dal Thoran
- broccoli - 1cup
- dal(yellow pigeon peas) -1/4 cup
- small onion -7- 10 chopped
- green chillies -3-5(finely chopped)
- curry leaves-a sprig
- grated coconut - 5-7tbsp
- turmeric powder-a pinch
- oil -1 tbsp
- mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- Wash and clean the broccoli in salted hot water.Finely chop the florets.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add a sprig of curry leaves,chopped onion,green chilly and saute till the raw smell goes.Add turmeric powder and toss well.
- Add chopped broccoli, salt to taste,grated coconut and mix well. Sprinkle 3-5 tbsp water,cook covered till it is done and all the water is evaporated.
- Cook the dal in a pan with enough water.don't overcook.
- Add cooked dal to the broccoli mixture.adjust the salt. Stir well until it is dry.