Kappa and fish/meen curry is a very good combo which brings out the authentic taste of Kerala.Toddy shops and house boats back in Kerala are famous for serving delicious Kappa puzhukku/vevichathu along with the authentic spicy fish curry.
Tapioca is also known as Cassava or yuca.It's a major source of carbohydrates.A small amount of toxins are present in kappa which will be removed by boiling.So we have to boil kappa with lots of water and later drain the water completely.
Here is the recipe for Kappa Puzhukku/Vevichathu
- Tapioca - 1kg
- Coconut -1 cup
- Pearl onion - 3-4 nos
- Green chilly /birds eye chillies- 4 nos
- Curry leaves - a few sprig
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilly- 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder -1/2tsp
- Peel the skin off the tapioca and wash with water.Cut it into medium pieces and wash well.
- Boil tapioca with lots of water in a deep vessel and cook till kappa is cooked well and soft.Drain all the water when it is cooked &add salt.
- Grind coconut with green chilly,onions,turmeric powder into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds &add dry red chiles,sliced small onions& curry leaves.Add kappa and coconut mixture&salt,mix well.
- Cook covered on slow flame for 5 minutes.