This is a quick dish prepared with raw sour mangoes.We can use tamarind instead of mango.This is a very good combination with rice porridge.Chammanthi is a dry coarse paste where as chutney is a liquid /dip sauce.This is not to be misinterpreted with the ever popular Chutney.Try making it at home,it sure can invigorate your senses.
- Green mangoes - 1no(sliced)
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Shallots -3
- Green chillies - 5(as per your tolerance)
- Ginger -1/2 inch piece(optional)
- coriander leaves chopped- 1tbsp
- mint leaves - 2-3 leaves
- curry leaves-2-4 leaves
- salt to taste
- Peel the mango and cut it into small pieces.Grind the mango pieces with green chillies,ginger,shallots in a wet grinder without adding water.Then add grated coconut with a sprinkle of salt and grind till it becomes a coarse paste.Add all the leaves towards the end and pulse 3-4times till the leaves are thoroughly mix with the paste.
- The proportion of mango and grated coconut depend on sourness of mangoes.Add less coconut and more mango pieces to get the real taste.
- We can grind mango chammanthi without coriander and mint leaves also.
Serve with hot plain rice,tikka,kabab,samosa or as you wish.