Theeyal is a traditional Kerala dish which is made using vegetables and fried coconut.It can be made using a single vegetable like bitter gourd,brinjal,pearl onion,snake gourd etc.or a combination of vegetables like drumstick,potato,
carrot.The fried coconut and spices gives a nice aroma and flavors to the dish.
Here is the recipe for pavakka theeyal
- bitter gourd-1medium size(cut into thin slices)
- coconut pieces- a small bite sized
- green chilly-2 slit
- small onion-5 thinly sliced
- coconut grated-1/2 cup
- tamarind- a small lemon sized
- curry leaves-a sprig
- coriander powder-1tbsp
- chilly powder-1/2tsp
- turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- dry red chilly-2
- salt to taste
- oil -as required
|Bitter Gourd Theeyal|
- Soak tamarind in half cup of water for 10 minutes.Discard the tamarind ball after squeezing it well.Keep the extract aside.
- Slice the bitter gourd thinly and add salt,mix it well.keep aside for few minutes
- Heat oil in a pan,add pavakka slices,green chillies,curry leaves,sliced onions and coconut pieces. saute well for few minutes.Close the lid and cook on a low flame for few minutes.
- Dry roast the grated coconut till it becomes brown,stirring continuously at low heat.Lower the heat and add coriander,chilly and turmeric powders,stir for few seconds.switch off the flame.make sure that it doesn't burn.keep aside to cool and grind it smoothly without adding water.
- Add tamarind juice into the cooked bitter gourd mixture and allow it to boil.add the ground paste, enough water and salt to this and bring it to a boil.Lower the heat and cook until the bitter gourd is done and the gravy becomes thick.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds .add dry red chilies and curry leaves and fry.Pour this over the curry and mix well.keep aside for 15 minutes.