- tomatoes- 2,large
- grated coconut-5tbsp
- dry red chilly-3 nos.
- ginger-1''inch piece
- garlic-2 cloves
- cumin seeds-1/4tsp(optional)
- asafoetida -a pinch
- tamarind/Imli-1 tsp
- curry leaves - a few sprigs
- coriander/cilantro leaves-1 fistful(as per ur taste)
- mint leaves-3-5 leaves(optional)
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds,dry red chillies.Add diced onions,ginger,garlic,green chillies,peppercorns and saute until onion turns soft.
- Add diced tomatoes,asafoetida and saute until it turns mushy and the moisture from the tomatoes evaporates.Add tamarind without seeds,grated coconut, coriander,mint leaves,curry leaves and salt to this.Stir for few more minutes.Remove from fire.Allow it to cool.Blend it to a coarse paste.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and do tempering.mix well.
- We can temper with mustard seeds,urad dal,dry red chillies,curry leaves in coconut oil.
- For variations try adding small onions instead of big onions to make it more tasty.
- You can also try this chutney without tamarind,pepper corns and mint leaves.