Elephant foot yam is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which are known to build up good cholesterol levels in the blood.It is also a good source of nutrients like proteins,vitamin B6,carbohydrates and certain essential minerals.What's more,it's used for people suffering from piles and constipation.Yam(chena)is a popular dish in India.Chena mezhukkupuratti is a quick,dry preparation,best served with rice.
- yam- 2cups
- sliced shallots(small onion)-10 nos
- pepper powder-1/2tsp
- corianderpowder-1 tsp
- turmeric powder-a pinch
- dry red chilly(crushed)-3nos
- fennel seeds crushed-1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- curry leaves-a sprig
- water-as required
- salt to taste
- coconut oil-as required
- Clean and cut the yam into small cubes.
- Cook it with sliced shallots,crushed dry red chillies,coriander pdr,turmeric pdr,fennel seed powder,salt and water.
- Remove the lid and make it dry.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.When it splutters,add curry leaves& 1 sliced shallots.When it turns light brown,put the cooked yam into this.
- Saute occasionally till it turns dry and crispy.
- Add pepper powder into this and remove it from fire.