|Beef Roast Kerala Style|
Beef roast/spicy Kerala beef ularthiyathu is one of the popular dishes among Kerala Christians.It is a special dish of of kottayam,usually made as a Sunday Special or for festive occasions.This is our favorite recipe too.Since the weather has been so ''nice" to have something hot and spicy we fed on this mouthwatering beef roast for 2 days and trust me it is always the best for the next day.
Here is the Recipe
- Beef-1kg(cut into cubes and washed)
- Small onion/shallots-1cup,sliced
- Ginger-2''piece,crushed or finely chopped
- Garlic-10-12 cloves,sliced
- Coconut Slices-1/2 cup
- Curry leaves-2-3 sprigs
- Coriander powder-2 tbsp
- Chilly powder-1tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Masala powder(Recipe follows)
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil- as required
To Make the Masala powder:
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 2''cinnamon sticks
- 3-5 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/2 star anise
- Grind and powder the spices mentioned in'' To make the masala powder".Keep half tsp masala powder aside.
- Make a marinade with the rest of the masala powder,turmeric,salt,chopped ginger and garlic,1tbsp of vinegar and apply it on the meat thoroughly by using your hands.
- Leave it in room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- pressure cook the marinated beef along with bite size pieces of coconut without adding water untill it cooks well.Check whether the beef is nicely cooked or If there is any water left,switch on the heat again and let the remaining water dry up.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or a kadai,add sliced small onions saute for 5-10 minutes or till it becomes slightly brown,add chopped garlic and ginger.Saute well.
- Now add curry leaves and combine well and saute until they turn pale in low flame.At this stage, add coriander,chilly and turmeric powders and stir continuously until the raw smell goes.Make sure that you don't burn your onions or spice powders.
- Now add the cooked beef to this and stir.
- Add half tbsp masala powder,kept aside earlier, and roast the beef, in low flame for 10-15 minutes or until it reaches that dark brown color in the picture.
- Adjust the salt,add 1/2 tsp pepper powder and sprinkle some oil and stir continuously.
- Before turning off the heat,add a sprig of curry leaves;do not omit this as this really helps the dish to attain a wonderful aroma and fresh fragrance of the curry leaves.
Beef Roast/Beef Ularthiyathu
- Home made masala powder is a must.
- Addition of coconut oil is a must as it enhances the taste.So use coconut oil generously.
- Try to use small onions/shallots and please don't substitute with big onions.It will affect the taste.
Serve warm along with Rice or Kallappam,Palappam(Laced Pancakes) or Chapati or Parotta(Indian flat bread).