- Kachil/Greater yam/purple yam-250g
- Turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- Water- as required
- Coconut grated-1/2cup
- Green chillies/bird's eye chilly-4(as per your spice level)
- Small onion-4-5
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds-1/4tsp
- Dry red chilly-2(halved)
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil-as required
- Peel off the skin and wash well.Cut into medium size cubes.
- In a pressure cooker add kachil pieces,turmeric,salt and enough water to cook.
- Open the cooker after it cooked well and the pressure settle down.
- Mash the cooked pieces with the back of the ladle.
- Grind grated coconut,green chilies,2-3 curry leaves and 2-3 small onions into a coarse mixture or you can crushed it in a mortar and pestle also.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds.Add sliced small onions,curry leaves,dried red chillies and stir for few minutes.
- Add ground/crushed coconut mixture,a pinch of turmeric and stir well.
- Add the mashed kachil pieces to this and stir well for few minutes.Adjust the salt.
- Switch off the heat.Drizzle coconut oil on top of it.
- You can cook them in a vessel also.But it may take longer time than the yam.So its best to cook them in a pressure cooker.
- In some places,coconut oil and curry leaves are added instead of seasoning.
- You can add cumin seeds while grinding the coconut mixture,if you likes the taste.