Mushroom is neither a vegetable nor a fruit.It's a fungi that grows in a moist environment and has a very short life.It is cultivated and used for thousands of years,both as a food and for their medicinal properties.Mushrooms are the only food that doesn't require sunlight to grow.It contains about 90% water and are very low in calories.They are excellent source of Selenium which helps to reduce prostate cancer.It contains very low amount of sodium and are good source of vitamins B and K and fat.One serving of this gives20- 40% of the daily value of Copper,a mineral that has cardiac-protective properties.
Mushrooms can be cooked in a variety of ways.This is one of my Mom's favorite mushroom preparations.
Here is the Recipe for Mushroom Thoran with coconut:
- Grated coconut-1/2cup
- Small onion/shallots-7-10,sliced
- Green chillies-4-5,finely chopped
- Garlic-2 cloves,chopped
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Dry red chillies-2,halved
- Salt to taste
- Oil-as required
- Put the mushrooms in a water containing 1/2tsp turmeric powder for about 10 minutes.Wash them with water.Chop them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.Add dry red chilies.
- Now add the sliced small onions,green chilies,curry leaves, garlic and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and stir.Add the chopped mushrooms and stir for few minutes.
- Do not add water as water will ooze out from the mushrooms.
- Now add grated coconut and salt to this and mix well.Saute well for few more minutes or until it turns to dry.
- Adjust the salt and remove from heat.
|Mushroom Thoran/Stir Fried Mushroom With Coconut|
Serve as Side dish with Rice and Enjoy!!!