Parippu/dal/lentils curry is a traditional dish of Kerala.It is also one of the main dishes of Onam and Vishu sadya/feast in Kerala.It goes well with all sorts of Kerala side dishes like thoran,mezukupuratti and also with pappad and pickle.
Lentils are part of almost every Indian cuisine - be it simple dal curry or sambar or chutney.Kerala sadya(traditional kerala banquet) is incomplete without lentils/dal/parippu curry.
Lentils help to reduce blood cholesterol since it contains high levels of soluble fiber.They are also a great source of foliate and magnesium which are big contributors of heart health.It contains highest levels of protein,which makes them a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.They are also a good source of iron which transports oxygen throughout your body and is key to energy production and metabolism.Lentils stabilizes blood sugar levels also.So including lentils in your diet makes your family members healthy.
Here is the recipe for Kerala parippu/dal curry
- Toor dal(yellow pigeon peas) or Chana dal -1cup
- Grated Coconut-1/2cup
- Green chillies-3-5
- Shallots/small onion-2-3
- Cumin seeds -1/4tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Dry red chillies-2(broken into two)
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Coconut oil-as required
- Salt to taste
- Cook dal/lentil in a pressure cooker by adding turmeric powder,salt and sufficient water into it.
- Mash it well by adding more water if necessary.
- Grind coconut,green chillies,garlic,cumin seeds,half of curry leaves with a little water to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground coconut mixture and some salt to the cooked dal along with turmeric powder and allow to boil in low heat .Simmer for few minutes.
- Add more water,if you like it to be in a thin consistency.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat oil/ghee in a small pan and add mustard seeds.When they pop up add chopped small onion,curry leaves and dried red chillies and saute till shallots turn golden brown colour.
- Pour this over the cooked dal/parippu and give it a gentle mix.
- Roasted moong dal(split yellow lentils)/cheru payar parippu can also be used instead of toor dal or chana dal.
- You can use any cooking oil instead of coconut oil and ghee.
- Once the dal is mashed,stir frequently to prevent burning.
Serve hot with Rice topped with a tsp of ghee and Pappad...